Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology established in the year 2021 at AIIMS Rajkot. The department shall provide expert medicolegal services in the state of Gujarat. It will be evolved as teaching and training centre in the medicolegal area.
1. To emerged as a centre of excellence in the field of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology on the fronts of teaching, research and medico legal services.
2. To develop a model in the field of forensic medicine, forensic pathology and allied branches of forensic sciences.
1. To produce a physician who is well informed about medicolegal responsibilities in the practice of medicine.
2. He/ She will be capable of making observations and inferring conclusions by logical deductions to set enquiries on the right track in criminal matters and connected medicolegal problems.
3. He/ She acquires knowledge of law in relation to medical practice, medical negligence and respect for codes of medical ethics.
At the end of the course in Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, MBBS student will be:
- Able to perform medicolegal post-mortem/autopsy,
- Appreciate and interpret findings and results of other relevant investigations for logical conclusion and framing the opinion on cause, manner and time since death.
- Able to diagnose and manage the cases of common poisoning and can carry out medicolegal duties
- Able to identify the medicolegal cases, carry out medical examination in such cases and prepare medicolegal report as per the law of the land.
- Aware of code of ethics, duties and rights of medical practitioner, duties towards patients and community, punishment on violation of code of ethics, various forms of medical negligence, duties towards his professional colleagues.
- Aware regarding recent amendments in laws and its application in the practice of medicine.
Scope of Work:
The department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology will be dealing with the medico-legal autopsy in natural and unnatural deaths. The department will also have a role in examination and certification in the medico-legal cases like injury examination, age estimation, sexual assault cases, etc. In the mortuary complex, cold-storage facility will be available to preserve the dead body. The department will also have a vision to develop a clinical forensic medicine unit and a one-stop centre for sexual assault cases. A poison information centre will have a crucial role in providing information and guidelines in management of poisoning cases.
The following services will be provided by the department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology in due course of time.
- Medico-legal autopsy
- Clinical Forensic Medicine unit
- Mortuary services
- Poison information centre
- One-stop centre for sexual assault cases
Medical Education: The department is having significant role in undergraduate MBBS curriculum and also looking forward to start (over the period of time):
- Post-graduate course
- PhD course
- Diploma courses
Research: The department is looking forward to explore research opportunities within and outside the AIIMS, Rajkot.