Department Of Dentistry
The Department of Dentistry at AIIMS, Rajkot was established on 31st December, 2021.
Dentistry is defined as evaluation, diagnosis, prevention and/or treatment (non-surgical, surgical or related procedures) of diseases, disorders and/or conditions of oral cavity, maxillofacial area and/or associated structures and their impact on human body; provided by dentist, within the scope of his/her education, training and experience in accordance with the ethics of profession and applicable law.
The Department of Dentistry at AIIMS Rajkot provides specialist services in oral and maxillofacial surgery, Pediatric Dentistry, Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, and Prosthodontics.
The vision of the Department of Dentistry is to be one of the renowned centres of excellence for its oral health care management, teaching, innovation and research in India.
The Department of Dentistry operates with the following objectives to excel in the oral health care delivery
- Providing all necessary diagnostic services with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Providing efficient oral health care management for all patients.
- Promoting the oral health of infants, children, adolescents, and persons with special needs, through education.
- Promoting effective preventive measures to ensure a lifetime of oral health.
- Collaborating with other medical disciplines and organizations to develop policies and to increase access to oral health care for all people.
- Practicing evidence-based Dentistry in all specialties to deliver oral health care reliably.
Services being offered:
Currently Department of Dentistry has following sub specialties
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery
Oral and Maxillofacial surgery is a branch of surgery to correct wide spectrum of diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws and the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region.
It is a recognized International surgical specialty and it is one of the nine specialties of Dentistry.
Services offered are:
- Extraction of teeth under local anesthesia.
- Extraction of impacted and complicated teeth under local anesthesia/sedation.
- Diagnostic procedures such as incisional or excisional biopsy of lesions of oral and maxillofacial region.
- Diagnosis and treatment of cysts and tumors of oral cavity.
- Diagnosis and treatment of pre-malignant lesions and conditions of oral cavity.
- Diagnosis and treatment of facial trauma.
- Diagnosis and treatment of temporo mandibular joint disorders.
- Diagnosis and treatment of salivary gland disorders.
- Surgical correction of jaw deformities.
- Placement of dental implants in jaw bone for implant supported dental prosthesis.
- Treatment of simple and complex dental infections.
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics is a branch of Dentistry deals with treatment of caries malformed discolored unaesthetic or fractured teeth and Endodontics deals with treatment of pulpal and peri-apical diseases and dental pain management.
Services offered are:
- Dental restoration (filling) of carious, fractured, abraded teeth with advanced materials and techniques.
- Diagnosis and management of patients with dentinal hypersensitivity.
- Root canal treatment both single visit and multivisit with utmost care and latest techniques.
- Diagnosis and treatment of discolored teeth/Bleaching.
- Aesthetic restorations such as direct or indirect veneers.
- Management of complex tooth restorations.
- Management of traumatized/fractured teeth.
- Endodontic surgical procedures such as apicectomy for large peri-apical lesions.
- Management of compromised teeth requiring hemi-section, bicuspidisation or replantation.
- Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry
Pediatric Dentistry is an age-defined specialty that provides both primary and comprehensive preventive and therapeutic oral health care for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs.
Services offered are:
- Diagnosis and management of decayed/discolored teeth in children.
- Management of deep dental carious teeth using different pulp therapy procedures in children’s/primary teeth.
- Rehabilitation of pulp therapy treated teeth with either stainless steel/strip/zirconia crowns.
- Extraction of grossly decayed/over retained children’s/primary teeth.
- Management of early loss of children’s/primary teeth using space maintainers.
- Diagnosis and management of carious teeth in erupting permanent molars.
- Diagnosis and management of fractured front teeth in children.
- Diagnosis and management of dental emergencies (tooth avulsion) in children
- Prevention of development of oral health diseases in children
- Caries risk assessment of children and development of risk specific treatment modalities in children.
- Practicing preventive measures in children’s teeth using fluorides and pit and fissure sealants.
- Diagnosis and management of developing malocclusion by various appliances.
The future expansion plans of the Department of Dentistry are as follows:
- To establish a state-of-the-art dedicated Oral Health Sciences Center.
- Starting IPD service and treatment of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery cases under general anesthesia.
- Initiating post-graduate course in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, and Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
- Setting up a specialty clinic for the replacement of missing teeth with Implant supported prosthesis.
- Setting up a specialty Pediatric Dental clinic with a conscious sedation unit.
- Full mouth rehabilitation of specially challenged children under general anesthesia.
- Setting up a specialty Endodontic clinic with an Endodontic microscope to provide endodontic treatment with highest level of care.
- To provide minimal invasive dentistry with the use of lasers, air abrasion and ultra sonics instruments.
- Expansion of dental radiology services with CBCT machine.
- Setting up a state-of-the-art CAD-CAM laboratory.
The Department of Dentistry is involved in teaching undergraduate students regarding the basic concepts of diagnosis and management of all oral health-related diseases. The Department also involves teaching regarding all dental emergencies that may occur in the community-level health care centres for proper identification and referral to dental specialties.
The Department of Dentistry understands the importance of evidence-based Dentistry and thus actively participates in initiating and conducting various research projects. The Department is currently conducting various research activities related to oral and maxillofacial surgery, Pediatric Dentistry, and Endodontics.